Sunday, August 21, 2016

August 20th: The day of firsts


I have successfully gone 34 years without pushing a lawnmower. It was viewed as a guy's job for a very long time. Growing up it was either my Dad or my brothers who had the assigned chore of mowing the lawn. My brothers left and now it is a chore my parents share or they pay someone to cut it. No more! I pulled that lawnmower out and did a pretty fine job being it was my first cut.  I actually enjoyed it, there was something soothing about it. 

On to the next first, cheesemaking. I tried, I really did. I read the directions probably 3 times before I started this adventure. I prepped, maybe I didn't use enough rennet, maybe the wrong milk, there are a lot of maybes but, a curd was not one of them.  I tried to coerce a curd but, it looked more like milk throw up. 

Curds were not in my future. I stopped working on it, took a break, drove to the health food store and bought raw milk. This is probably the most milk I have ever purchased. Second attempt will come soon enough.

Somehow, I also managed to complete my first journal. I have been starting and stopping journals for the past 20 years, that can apply to sketchbooks too. I started the journal to do entries for Calling in the One, I stopped writing for that (waiting for my bff to do it too) but managed to keep writing, mostly everyday, at least one page a day since May. 

 My day of firsts closed out my first complete journal, seems appropriate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment